There are several effective approaches to therapy. Each approach is unique and individual. Within the framework of a safe, confidential, non-judgmental, atmosphere, I work to customize my approach based on each client’s individual needs. I find it most helpful to remain flexible and to work first with clients using approaches that help them feel most comfortable. Along with traditional talk therapy, I utilize the expressive therapies and play therapy.
- Mental Health Counseling, or talk therapy, consists of engaging in verbal communication with the focus on a client’s identified issues.
- Expressive Therapies engage clients in the healing process through the therapeutic use of the arts. I specialize in art therapy and utilize writing and psychodrama with the practice of psychotherapy. Art Therapy is the use of the visual arts as a means of expression, greater self-knowledge, and healing.
- Play Therapy activates the subconscious and is very effective in highlighting behavioral issues. Games in therapy can lead to greater self-awareness and can be used in problem solving.
- Consulting with a client’s other helping professionals such as pediatricians, teachers, and psychiatrists provides the best overall outcome.
- Supervision is available to Expressive Therapy graduate students as well as graduates working toward Art Therapy Registration or a Massachusetts Mental Health Counselor License.